Eight million tonnes of plastic are estimated to enter our oceans every year. Once there, plastic causes havoc for marine life – entangling species and being ingested by them too. It has been reported that 100 million marine animals tragically and needlessly die each year because of plastic waste. It is all our responsibility to cut down on plastic and recycle where possible. We must also reduce our demand for plastic products and use only those that are necessary, such as medical equipment, to reduce overall demand and the amount of new plastic produced annually.
At White Shark Projects we are passionate about sustainability and protecting our planet. To show our commitment to responsible tourism for people and the environment we are proud members of Fair Trade Tourism. Striving to be a plastic-free ecotourism company goes beyond one month of the year for us, but as part of Plastic-Free July – a global movement encouraging people to ditch plastic for the month of July – we’re sharing with you how we are leading the way to remove single-use plastic from our business.
If you choose to cage-dive with White Shark Projects, you will be joining a company that prides itself on being single-use plastic-free throughout our Lodge and on our boat. From the moment you arrive, you won’t see any single-use plastic. As part of our plastic-free promise we:
- Gift each client with a reusable White Shark Projects water bottle on arrival which they can take home with them at no extra cost
- Purchase foods such as sugar and flour from two zero waste refill stores in Cape Town – Shop Zero and Nude Foods
- Source coffee locally from Gansbaai Coffee Company in refillable containers
- Grow our own organic vegetables such as potatoes, garlic, carrots, butternut and onions, for day clients and swop shop participants using Growbags and RAW seeds
- Use eco-friendly hessian bags for shopping for loose vegetables we don’t grow. We also sell reusable cotton shopping bags and all our staff have been given these to use.
- Provide environmentally responsible Healing Ocean bathroom products in our facilities – these are also available to purchase in our Lodge
- Dispense hand sanitiser from stainless steel, refillable containers
- Supply 100% biodegradable, BPA-free, eco-friendly toilet paper, Güdsheet in our bathroom facilities. Every purchase we make supports the provision of toilet paper and toilets to underprivileged schools and crèches throughout South Africa.
- Support local and traditional businesses by furnishing our Lodge with locally crafted furniture
- Sell a range of plastic-free and locally sourced products in our Lodge, such as beautiful wooden jewellery, White Shark Projects reusable coffee cups and repurposed shark artwork
Your cage-dive will also support our local community, outreach, and education projects within disadvantaged communities in the local Gansbaai area, including our award-winning recycle Swop Shop in Masakhane and regular local beach clean-ups with local and international volunteers. Our 2nd Recycle Swop Shop will be opening in Bloompark in September 2021.
Check out our social media for plastic-free swaps you can make to join the movement for a healthier ocean.